Friday, February 5, 2010

I missed him...

My husband works for our electric company. So when we have major weather, snow, ice, wind, rainstorms, he leaves us to go work. He got home at 7:00pm last Friday night and left at 3:00am Saturday morning. I kept trying to figure out what I would do if our electricity went out, we do not have an alternate heat source....he's always told me "You have a generator"....so what does that mean??? I don't even know where it is! We live in a heavily populated area of the county that doesn't have a lot of electrical problems, thank you Lord. My greatest fear is that something will happen to one of the kids....I was the one who had to call Greg to come home from work when Will fell and sliced his leg open and I couldn't look at it enough to tell if he needed stitches.....so I worry. I try not to think about what he is doing out in the cold ice and snow...going without sleep for days at a time. We talk a lot on the phone, I can always tell how tired he is. He was able to run by the house Sunday around noon and get a shower and sleep for an hour....good thing because we didn't see him again until Monday night at 9:30. He hit the wall Monday around noon....that is not a good feeling on this end. He got in that night and crashed...we've both been catching up all week. It's very hard on the kids when he works a weekend like this...Colin cried himself to sleep Sunday night. Shea just asks all day long, "when is Daddy coming home"....I have no answer. I let them have the day off from school on Tuesday so they could have Daddy time....I needed it too.....I missed him....I'm just not the same "me" without him.

20 comments:

sandy said...

That's got to be rough! I need my hubby to home with me. It's hard enough when he works third shift!

pam said...

I know your pain, my hubby is going on 12 hour shifts next week...11 am- 11 pm. Can't wait for next week to be over.

He & Me + 3 said...

Aww Jane...this breaks my heart for your family when Daddy has to work so much. I know...It is 10:19 pm & my husband is still not home. He left at 6:30 this morning. praying he gets his rest and it slows down a bit.
Hugs,
Mimi

creative gal said...

oh, I am sorry, but I know that many people are grateful for your husband's hard work and dedication.

Shelley said...

What a sweet post. I hope he appreciates you girl. I can hear how much you love him.

上課 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heckety said...

You are so right...the Hub has always worked shocking hours, as an engineer I guess it just goes with the territory, so I don't know what's its like to have him around much at all.
We used to take family 'Daddy Time' when the girls were growing up, and still B gets Daddy Trips which anchor her.
Husbands and Dads just don't know how much they are needed in all sorts of unexpected ways I think- but aren't we the lucky ones to have one? That's what I think very often, even when I want to hit the man!
Have you seen Mr and Mrs Smith? B and I were watching it last night- and I'd forgotton how well it shows the feeling of wanting to half kill a spouse at the same time as loving them absolutely!

Sandy said...

Your husband is one of those people we rely on and don't realize what they do. Thanks for the reminder.

Rachel said...

My brother in law works for the elec. co-op in Middle TN. He is gone a lot too, and it's hard for my sister so I think I understand how you feel. I am so thankful for the guys like your husband that are out there in the bad weather, caring for their community. Thanks.

Emma said...

Oh kids love there daddies!!!!

I hate it when I am home alone too.

Deborah Ann said...

I know just how you feel. Don't get to see my hubby very much,and now that he's back on 3rd shift I get to sleep alone - yah. I feel like part of me is gone when he's not here.

Hang in there, hopefully the snow will let up, and he'll have more time with you...

Alicia said...

AWWWWW!!! That is so sweet! At least daddy knows he's missed and wanted!!

My kids are used to my husband being home at a certain time, so if he's working overtime, they always ask, "Where's dad?"

Mary K Brennan said...

My husband recently took a trip to Germany. We had to communicate via email because the time change put him in meetings every time I was awake. It was so lonely. I pulled out a map to show the boys where Daddy was. It doesn't matter where they are. If their not home at night, it's very hard.
Here's to better nights, and days!

Audrey said...

Every time we have a snow storm I think of the people without electricity - we have a generator, I know where it is :)
But I do feel for the Hydro workers out there in the cold trying to fix everything. Poor guys!

Yaya said...

That's sad. :(

wendy said...

WELL, I don't like it when hubby is gone either. Especially at night as I am the biggest Boob.
He certianly works hard....BUT THERE ARE TONS OF PEOPLE THERE WHO ARE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT HE DOES.

and that was a good idea to keep the kids home from school ---as family/daddy time is more important.

p.s. I am watching the superbowl right now AND I AM PISSED. They are not showing all the fun commercials, the ones we wait for. They opt them out and put in dumb stupid canadian commercial stuff.

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

Just loved this post... coming from SITS. Random, but are you going to Bloggy Boot Camp in Baltimore?

Thankfully Thrifty said...

Sounds like your exhausted. Sorry things are rough right now.

Katie said...

whoa, those are some seriously long days!! :( hope your weather clears up soon and he can be back to being home with your family!

Nana said...

I hope the weather changes for you guys soon!! Maybe he will get a day off. No?