Friday, January 15, 2010

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a football fanatic, college specifically. I grew up in Athens Ga. home of the UGA Bulldogs. I was a high school cheerleader with the oldest daughter of UGA's coach, Vince Dooley. As cheerleaders, we spent the majority of our time together, at school and off. We went to each other's houses, sleepovers, hanging out....all the things high school girls do. After high school we attended UGA games...to live in Athens meant knowing your football.
When I met Greg, who is a HUGE Tennessee Vol fan, he "recruited" me to the other side. Our first game together was a Tn-Ga game in Athens...he in his orange and white...me in my red and black. But then, I went to Neyland Stadium and finally understood what being a Tennessee Volunteer really meant...and I was "converted".
After a very tumultuous week of Tennessee coaching upheaval, I am so overjoyed to learn that the youngest brother of my high school friend Deanna, is the new coach for the University of Tennessee football team...and it is with much pride that I welcome Derek Dooley to Tennessee....my, my how that kid has grown up!! Who would have thought...a Dooley as a VOL, WooHoo!!!!

13 comments:

Heckety said...

Well congrats to him, big job!

I kinda don't 'get' the whole American Football thing though I often see it in films and read about it, but that's ok. If he wanted the job and its right for him then that I understand and I hope he finds his dreams. Seems to me that team sports are about hard work, teams and dreams.
But that's just from a clueless bystander.

SmallWorld at Home said...

How fun for you! It's been crazy up here in Knoxville. I'm not a football fan but DH is (and he's a prof at UT) and so is pretty much everyone else in a 60 mile radius! My son's best friend was one of those students proudly rioting in the streets. Craziness!

Angela said...

LOL I still love ya!

I think nearly everyone is glad to see Kiffin leave TN. I don't have any strong feelings on TN's coach one way or the other, but I just never had the feeling that he was a good fit there.

And that is so cool that you grew up with the Dooleys!

Angela said...

LOL I still love ya!

I think nearly everyone is glad to see Kiffin leave TN. I don't have any strong feelings on TN's coach one way or the other, but I just never had the feeling that he was a good fit there.

And that is so cool that you grew up with the Dooleys!

♥Georgie♥ said...

wow that is so exciting Jane!!!! Congrats to Derek

Melissa said...

Lovin' the new background!

New England Girl said...

How exciting for the Vols!!! :)

wendy said...

I am so glad you stopped by my blog --Thanks. and come again
I love football too. I had 4 sons who played football and was married once to a high school football coach.
I know the "stress" of being married to a man of one team and you with another. He was a big (and even played for them) University of Utah fan and I was a BYU fan, through and through. They hate each other. Sometimes we'd have to watch the game where they both played each other in different rooms (so funny)

I have 2 neices in Tennesse. One in Nashville and one in Knoxville.

I am sure you will find it super exciting to watch the "VOLS" now that you KNOW the coach eh.

He & Me + 3 said...

What a neat story Jane. I didn't know you were a cheerleader and how cool that you know the new coach. :) He looks young too. I secretly like Tennessee for their cool colors:)

Rachel said...

Now a house once divided is united again. haha At least you didn't marry an Alabama fan. LOL

Yaya said...

I don't follow sports, but if you're excited then I join in,
"Yay!"

Angie's Spot said...

And again I say that this is such a small world! Jake has been belly-aching all week long about this coaching turmoil. Good riddance Lane. Welcome Derek!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Oh Jane, my this doeshit close to home!!!!

My feelings wouldn't be hurt if you took me to a game...I've never been to Neyland Stadium yet!

Go Saints!