Thursday, December 17, 2009

Holly Bloggy Tradition!

Today for the Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash we're hooking up with Tidy Mom and the theme is Christmas Memories or Traditions.....and girls I'm going Traditions since we have so many we've started with the kids.

One of my favorite is a few days before Christmas we bake cookies for our elderly neighbors. I get special Christmas bags, this year I'm using boxes, and we deliver fresh baked cookies, and yes I cheat and use pre-made cookies but they are baked and decorated with love...the kids deliver....I watch from the porch. It is joyful watching the kids and neighbors!

Another is getting together with my BFF and her kids to bake and decorate cookies the day before Christmas Eve...and these are the cookies we set out for Santa...and we also serve them when our families get together for Christmas Eve to eat and exchange gifts.

And last but not least is what we did tonight. Each year since Derek was born we pick a night usually the week before Christmas, and go out to eat(tonight it was O'Charley's) and then drive around to look at Christmas lights. Now our electric company decorates their windows downtown...they are always wonderful and people park and get out and walk and look and oooo and awww at the figures..the great thing is that they use the same decorations just in different decorating ideas...little did we know when we started this, that one day we would have 4 kids who we would take downtown to look at the windows of the company their daddy now works for...... I LOVE IT!!

11 comments:

TidyMom said...

Those a great traditions!! I bet the kids just love delivering the cookies to the neighbors and I bet the neighbors enjoy it as well!

Baking cookies with a friends would be so much fun!! for several years my mom and I too a day or 2 to bake together, but then our schedules started to clash and we haven't done that in years.

Thanks for linking up to the party!!

Merry Christmas

~TidyMom

New England Girl said...

What great traditions! I especially love the fact that you bake homemade cookies, wrap them up and have the kids deliver them to elderly neighbors. Those folks are probably so tickled with joy over visitors and little treats! I love how the smallest things can make such a big difference. :)

Melissa said...

I have made it a point to turn on the Christmas lights in the morning before the kids get up so that the house looks festive everyday. I also try to have Christmas music playing in the evening just to add to that atmosphere.
I bought a bunch of Bath and Body plug-ins that are Christmas scents.
I want the kids to remember sights, sounds and smells of Christmas. That's what brings it all rushing back for me.....:)

Lea said...

I smell cookies! Mmmmmm...
Love your traditions. It sounds like the festivities are wonderful!
I love all your buttons.
I'M A COLLECTOR! TONS OF BUTTONS.
In fact, this past year, I also inherited my husband's grandmothers buttons. Buttons are tiny works of art!

Tonya said...

Great traditions! We have 2 traditions that we do every year...1 is that I make homemade Christmas cookies for the guys at work and 2 I get Jeramy a new Christmas ornament each year to put on the tree. :)

Deborah Ann said...

Beautiful traditions! Especially baking cookies for others, I love it! (Love O-Charley's too)

♥Georgie♥ said...

wonderful traditions Jane! thanks for sharing them with us...
also Thank you for the BDay ecard I just received and was LOL@ yes lotsa wax on my cake this yr!!! to funny girl I loved it

Alicia said...

Wow! Those are all great! One year, I would love to pass out cookies. I always say I'm going to do it, but I never do!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Terrific traditions!

Angela said...

Awesome! And I saw your note over at Angie's. Congrats on the laptop!!!

He & Me + 3 said...

How fun to make cookies with your BFF. I sure wish mine lived close enough to do that. YUM for the cookies.