Thursday, November 26, 2009

TT Featuring A Challenge!

Thanksgiving = Food, literally. For most of us we will be enjoying lots of family traditional foods, eating until we are the stuffed ones! We are blessed...and what a huge blessing on this Thankful Thursday. And thank you Sonya over at Truth 4 The Journey for hosting each week.

But, and I mean big BUT, a recent report from the USDA states 16 percent of American households are "food insecure"... an increase of 13 million people over the previous year. How is it possible that over
49 million people across this country face hunger??? 49 Million!

So on this day of Thanksgiving, let's work together to help these people who do not have the resources to be "stuffed" today. Here are 2 ways to help, and I'm sure you can come up with more, be resourceful:

•Donate to Feeding America. For every $1 donation, Feeding America helps provide 7 meals to men, women and children who are facing hunger in the U.S.

•Support your local food bank. Food pantry shelves all over this country are running low.

I am holding a "Comments For Cans"!! For every comment left on this post through Sunday night, I will donate one canned good item to the Chattanooga Area Food Bank.

Angie and Shannon are also participating in this endeavor this weekend with me, in fact it was Shannon who invited me to join them. We challenge you to do the same. Write your own "Comments for Cans" post on your blog and donate to your local food bank.

What a difference we can make together, leave your own imprint on your community! Be extra Thankful Today!

Sooooo, Ready, Set, Comment!!

13 comments:

Eli said...

Jane, I think that is so awesome of you to do this!!!

I know, we are so blessed, and we forget those that are so hungry. Not just today, but everyday.

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

This is a great idea! I've been donating regularly to our local area food bank. We enjoy buying extra canned goods knowing they will go to help others in need.

Sonya

Em said...

You guys rock for doing this - toss a can on for me!

(over from Shannon's) Em

Angela said...

Hugs to you guys. It is SO hard to believe that there are so many right here in this country who have so little, while we enjoy so much. It makes me so sad!

Angela said...

You are welcome! Here's another comment. I just got back from a walk - it is GORGEOUS outside! Inside the clan is gathered. Most watching football, two others chatting at the table where I'm about to start cutting coupons. You have inspired me to start donating canned goods whenever we find them on good sales at Publix!

New England Girl said...

What a great idea! You are such a generous soul... I love it! I hope your post brings in tons of comments! :) And I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

We do have so much to be thankful for...and I'm thankful for you and your friendship. What a neat way to hear from friends and help those who are less fortunate! God bless you as you bless others!! Abbe

Samantha said...

What a great gift of you to donate,
we donate to our local food bank also.
Hope you had a great Turkey day !
~ Blessings to you dear friend.

He & Me + 3 said...

You are so sweet and you are making a difference. Throw in a can of green beans for me. Delmonte please:)
Hugs,
Mimi

Cheryl said...

Love this! The can drives are a great way to remember.

Brandy said...

This is such a good idea! Kudos to all three of you for giving back.

Shannon said...

throw a can in for me ;)

Dillypoo said...

This is an awesome idea! Please add a can for me and stop by and post a comment on my blog. I'll donate a can to my local food bank, too.