Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Today I am Thankful for a poem. This poem for me makes so much sense....is so intuitive. I have a short version of it displayed in my home. To be reminded of how great He was, and continues to Be. For me, it says it all:

One Solitary Life

He was born in an obscure village, the child of a peasant. He grew up in another village, where he worked in a carpenter shop until he was 30. Then, for three years, he was an itinerant preacher.

He never wrote a book. He never held an office. He never had a family or owned a home. He didn't go to college. He never lived in a big city. He never traveled 200 miles from the place where he was born. He did none of the things that usually accompany greatness. He had no credentials but himself.

He was only 33 when the tide of public opinion turned against him. His friends ran away. One of them denied him. He was turned over to his enemies and went through the mockery of a trial. He was nailed to a cross between two thieves. While he was dying, his executioners gambled for his garments, the only property he had on earth. When he was dead, he was laid in a borrowed grave, through the pity of a friend.

Twenty centuries have come and gone, and today he is the central figure of the human race. I am well within the mark when I say that all the armies that ever marched, all the navies that ever sailed, all the parliaments that ever sat, all the kings that ever reigned--put together--have not affected the life of man on this earth as much as that one, solitary life.*

*Attributed to James Allen Francis
.

One solitary life....for you and for me, HE changed the world! Can I get an Amen to that!

Join Hostess Sonya and the rest of our Praising crew over at Truth 4 The Journey.

15 comments:

Alicia said...

That was great! Thanks for sharing that, Jane!

I linked up again this week!

SusanD said...

AMEN, Sister! Blessings, SusanD

Deb said...

...and AMEN!!!
HUGS!!
Deb

Becky said...

AMEN!!!!!!

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

This is great! Amen.
Collette xxx

♥georgie♥ said...

Beautiful just Beautiful!!!

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

I absolutely love this!

Whitney said...

AMEN!!!!!
Oh that is such a great message!

Heart2Heart said...

Jane,

This was a beautiful poem and it is true that one person denied him in public, but I also see that only one accompanied him all the way to the cross. Judas sold himself out, Peter denied him, John went with him all the way to the cross to care for His mother and watched him die but what about the others? Where did they go???

I too am thankful for this ultimate sacrifice He paid so that we might have life everlasting for believing in Him.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

skoots1mom said...

well said, Mr. Francis :)
thx 4 sharing his writing

Samantha said...

Amen. Just beautiful, thank you for blessing me today !

♥luvin♥this♥life♥ said...

What a beautifully worded poem! I think I have seen this one make the rounds via email during Easter, or one very similiar. Its beautiful and it touches the heart! Thank you for sharing it with all of us! (and thank you for coming by and commenting on mine!)
~C

Hi! I'm Grace said...

It is so nice to know that bloggers are united to give thanks to Him on Thursday. demon must have trembled with fear.
Go for Jesus!

2Thinks said...

He is the Son of the living God- the only hope we have- our everything.

Nice blog.

Heidi @ 2 Thinks to Share

Angela said...

Amen! I love this poem!

One of my favorite pastors (Steve Brown) often says that God came as a baby because, if He had come in His glory He'd have scared us all to death on the spot ;-) I am so thankful for Christ's example during His time here on Earth because He showed us how we should live as humans. But I am also thankful that when He comes back, He'll be coming as the King. Of everything and everyone. No more human body, and no more question about who He really is. Thank you Jesus!