Friday, July 10, 2009

No Girly Girl 'Round Here!

I have NEVER been a girly girl. I had a brother 15 months older then me. I did much more boy stuff then girl stuff growing up. My mother used to tell the story of how she and my father would both have to hold me down to put a dress on me....my thoughts, why bother. I used to wear the panties with lace crap on them, scratched my legs for hours. Used to cry when I could not stand up and pee like my brother. One of the reasons I love my church family so much is that they accept me for who I am...blue jeans in the winter, gauchos or Bermuda shorts in the summer with flip flops. So you get the picture. When I was expecting the Girl, for some hormonal reason, I thought I would like a real girly girl...I could dress her up, do her hair, all the cutesy stuff. Why I thought I would actually have a child like that...I have no idea. With all of my kids, between 2-3yrs they would pretty well establish what they wanted to wear daily. I am a mama that picks her fights and clothes are not one of them I pick. It would have to be pretty bad for me to say anything and I mean bad as in offensive to others or scanky. One of the boys wore his shoes on opposite feet for a year. It just doesn't faze me. When Girl was born I had her in the cutest dresses and outfits, knowing my time was limited. And yeah, 2 yrs came and it was onesies all the way, with pants or without pants did not matter. Then she outgrew those in a matter of months, went from 3T to 5T last fall, so she moved into shirts and pants or shorts. I fooled her into a dress on Easter by calling it a tunic and pairing it with capri's. And of course her favorite toys are trucks, GI Joe's, toy guns, Rescue Heroes and the all time faves Building Blocks. Now there are a couple of areas where we really go girl, LOVE shoes and jewelry....and we like our makeup and nail polish...she even painted her Daddy's nails. And then we'll doll it up and go out on the town in our blue jeans, T shirts and cowboy boots....A girl's gotta crank it up sometime!

11 comments:

Susie said...

I am such a girlie girl. I love all that pink crap. I guess that's why I had girls:-)

CaraBee said...

I was just like you, a real tomboy as a kid, but now I like the girly stuff. So far, my daughter seems to be fairly girly, but she definitely has a tomboy streak. She loves taking things apart and digging in the dirt. She doesn't sleep with a doll, she sleeps with a ball. I have a feeling the dress days are numbered.

Becky said...

Okay...you sooo win any contest. Your son wore shoes on the wrong feet for a whole year and it didn't bother you!!!

I am impressed!!

Jen said...

It is so funny how everyone is different. I feel my best when I am wearing a skirt or a dress. I mean that I feel most comfortable in my own skin and just overall better.

My daughter was a girly girl but is now showing more signs of being a tomboy. I'm trying to just go with the flow and not fight her choices.

Nancy said...

Jane, You're a Great story teller! You know how to keep the attention of your readers. I would have thought of you as a girly girl with all the pink on your blog...lol ;) Now, me....I'm am 100% grily!!! and, I had 2 boys! Always wanted a girl to dress her up EVERYDAY!!! But, my boys now, 20 and 17 they love having a girly girl mom and there girlfriends really love...lol ;) Hope you have a great weekend!!!! Nancy

Angela said...

I love it! I am not super girly either. I love to dress up for special occasions, but the rest of time prefer to be as casual as I can get away with. However, this post reminded me that I've been meaning to post about a new purse I got. It's AWESOME. I prefer my girly-girl ness to be mostly limited to pedicures and cute purses, LOL, so this purse is a huge score!

Hugs!

New England Girl said...

I am like you- I was a total tomboy! I only have brothers, and have way more boy cousins than girls, so it was just natural to wnt to run after them and get into all the trouble they were getting into! But, it's funny, because the first couple years [i.e. up til about 4], you couldn't get my OUT of a dress. And then the tomboy side kicked in. :)
Now that I'm getting a bit older [can't say I'm growing up!!], I am starting to enjoy the girlie girl side of things... it can be so much fun! :)

He & Me + 3 said...

That is too funny. I have one that loves to dress up and one that would rather be in jeans and a t all day long. I like to dress up just think I look better in jeans and a T. Go figure. I dont' do makeup either. But my girls love it!

Rachel said...

I'm with you about the tomboy stuff but my "girly" fav is purses... hands down.

Alicia said...

LOL..that's so funny! My oldest daughter can go either way. She's not a girly girl, but does like to wear dresses (at times).

However, my youngest is a total girly girl!!!!!!! I mean, she will wear tennis shoes, and can keep up with the boys, but if I allowed it, she'd probably wear a princess costume everyday..LOL!

Angie's Spot said...

You know, I'm not sure how my girls have ended up being so girly because I know I'm not a role model in that department. I live in jeans/shorts, t-shirts and flip flops most of the time. I wore a dress to a wedding last week and Ashlyn asked why I had a dress on. Like it was something so foreign that she just couldn't understand it.