Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Teacher

Until I had D 14 yrs ago I did not know what I wanted to be when I grew up. So at 34 I finally had figured it out, a MOM. Being a mom has been so much more then I had ever expected. And now with the 4 kids, varying age groups, different activities, different stages in life for them and me, I have narrowed my mom-ing down to what I feel I do best for them, with them, with other kids and with myself... I teach. Not only do I home school my kids, I also teach the youth Sunday School class and the youth Wednesday night class...some kids are in both, some just one or the other. Now teaching my own kids is much more of a challenge just due to family dynamics, we still have the same parent/child conflicts everyone else does. It's a lot of work with the 3 levels and not a lot of rewards usually. But then the times when something you've been working on with a child just clicks and their delight is priceless.. they GET it! It is amazing to see. Then you have the teenager who "forgets" what he is supposed to do...oh yeah, that goes over real well with me! Needless to say, my oldest and I but, or butt, heads alot!! And one of my greatest pleasures is teaching our church youth group. This comes to me so easily. I can get my book out, look for 5 mins and have planned exactly what I want to do. It just invigorates me. I feel that all of us have Spiritual Gifts that God has given us. Took me a LONG time to find mine, but I have, a mom who teaches. Have you discovered yours yet??

6 comments:

He And Me + 3 said...

I teach at our church too. I used to be a teacher until I had kids.It is great when it something finally clicks. Best feeling in the world.

Heather said...

Yay, I got my package today! Thank you so much for everything...can you believe I went to Ruby Falls when I was a kid?!

Can't wait to brew some Chattanooga coffee with a moon pie!

Thanks again!

Chrissy said...

I am homeschooling my daughter who is 4.5 and I am thrilled to see her starting to sound out words on her own and writing so well and its like now I can sit there and tell my husband, 'see! this is why I stay home and do what I do', its amazing to be the one to teach my baby these things.

Oh and I am totally jealous you are sipping on sweet tea right now! I need to go make some more! lol

BoufMom9 said...

Sounds a lot like me. I loved teaching my kids at home, teaching Sundat School & Youth group. It's so rewarding :)

LOL about the teenagers. So true!

Alicia said...

How funny!! You sound like me!!

I homeschool my five kids and serve in the childrens church!!!!

I can't even imagine myself working out of the home! I've been a stay at home mom for 11 years now!

WackyMummy said...

I'm impressed! I'd love to be able to homeschool my son, but teaching is so far from being my forte that it's my anti-forte. Besides, he needs socialization that grumpy wackymummy can't give him. But I'm super impressed by you. Maybe I'll send my son on over. He's very well-behaved! (Just read my posts about him.) Please???? :)