Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fried Squirrel?

Thursday morning, D yelled "The pole is on fire"! I yelled "Which, one? Get the dogs in. Who are you calling? Get dressed" It was the pole at the back of our property which is an acre, we got the dogs in and he was calling Big Daddy?? I called 911.
I explained the very top of the pole had a flame flickering. Weirdest thing I've seen. The pics aren't real good, D was in charge of the camera while I dealt with....

the fire department and the police. Right as they pulled up, W walked in off our back deck and announced "It's a squirrel". Now Big Daddy worked for the cable company 23 yrs and has been with the electric company 3 yrs. He has seen this a lot of times and has even brought pics for the boys to "view". I don't look, gross. I had to go explain to the firefighters that it was just a little fiery squirrel up on my pole. I took them in the backyard and 3 firefighters and 2 policemen walked down my hilly yard. I sat on my picnic table. I was watching the men as they whipped out cameras and cell phones to take pictures!! It was so funny. The contact guy told me there was no danger unless the burning squirrel fell off the pole in the woods. Luckily, we've had rain. So they called the power company to come knock the squirrel off the pole. I talked to BD and he told me who was coming but he didn't know him.
In the meantime, the squirrel continued to roast. It was so odd. I thought when they got electrified, the just kinda whoosh, crispy. But this little buddy was taking his time!
Pretty soon the trouble shooter arrived and was a hoot. Had us all laughing about fried squirrel! The fire fighters and police left when he got there. All my boys were out on the deck and he turned and asked them if they wanted him to bring them the squirrel. A resounding "yes" was heard. I said "Wait a minute, you asked boys that question??" He said "Sure, you would've said no" And he was so right!! Well he walked down to the pole the way the boys told him would be easiest and sure enough, the hot stick goes up and Squirrel comes tumblin' down. And he walks up my backyard with the squirrel. It had no tail and the rear was totally charred, it was sooooo gross! The kids LOVED it!!! He put it on the edge of our driveway so BD could see it, he was on his way home at that point. Now the boys took LOTS of NASTY, GROSS pictures of the FS that I will not post cause I can't stand to look at them, but couldn't resist this.....
shot of the Girl having her picture made with Fried Squirrel!!
P.S. Later, D went into the woods, found the charred tail which had blown down, and it's sitting near me right at this moment in a plastic bag!!

12 comments:

Shellmo said...

I feel sorry for the squirrel but then I laugh when I see your daughter laughing!

Amy B said...

I just do not know what to say..and that is so rare. LOL

Kori said...

Yep my boys would have been all over that.

Nana said...

My boys would have been all over it too, plus they would be daring each other to eat it.

I am still around w/ my daught and her family living w/ us and her just having a baby we have been really busy around here. Thank you for caring and asking about us.

Becky said...

I feel so bad for the squirrel:( Hopefully it kills them quickly??

I have never heard of such a thing! Big excitement at your house today!

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh!!! Ewwww!!!! You have the tail too?????

He And Me + 3 said...

OMGrossness...That is too funny. Poor Squirrel

Angie's Spot said...

Have I mentioned how glad I am to have a couple of girly girls? They would've run away from that situation so quickly...that is if they could've caught up to me.

lmerie said...

Blackened squirrel huh? Squirrels can be quite a pest at times!

Smiles!

Amy said...

My boys would have loved that. They're all about anything gross!

Katherine Aucoin said...

I'm glad we have underground wiring where we live now. We used to have squirrels blow the transformer and our power would be out for hours.

What does one serve with fried squirrel anyway? lol

nikkicrumpet said...

You guys sure know how to have a good time at your house! Just don't invite me to dinner anytime soon hehehe