Thursday, December 11, 2008

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

I WAS DELIGHTED TO FIND LAST NIGHT THAT "ON DEMAND" HAD PUT THIS MOVIE BACK ON. IT IS THE 1973 VERSION THAT I SAW IN THE THEATRE YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS A KID. IT HAD A PROFOUND IMPACT ON ME. PROBABLY BECAUSE IT WAS A ROCK-OPERA, THE FIRST OF IT'S KIND THAT I HAD SEEN. LOVED IT, AND LOVE IT TO THIS DAY. FOR ME, AS AN UNHAPPY, QUESTIONING, IN THE CHURCH YOUTH GROUP, ALMOST TEENAGER, IT REALLY BOUGHT THE STORY OF THE RESURRECTION TO LIFE. IT SHOWED AN EMOTIONAL JESUS, DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE THAT I HAD BEEN TAUGHT WHO WAS AN ALMOST MYSTICAL MAN. IT SHOWS JESUS LAUGHING, CELEBRATING, ANGRY BEYOND BELIEF AND QUESTIONING, JUST AS I HAD BEEN. BUT IT ALSO SHOWS HIM AS FOLLOWING GOD TO THE MAX, WHICH IS WHAT I STRIVE TO DO. LAST MAY, I HAD THE PRIVILEGE TO SEE "JCS" AT ONE OF OUR THEATRE'S. TED NEELY WHO STARRED AS JESUS IN THE FILM, WAS TOURING AS JESUS IN THE STAGE PRODUCTION. AND YA KNOW, IT WAS LIKE I WAS TRANSPORTED BACK IN TIME TO THOSE SAME EMOTIONS, THE DELIGHT, THE JOY AND THE LIGHT BULB OF UNDERSTANDING WHAT IT REALLY MEANT FOR MANKIND, FOR JESUS TO BE ON THAT CROSS. AND NOW AS WE CELEBRATE HIS BIRTH, I ALSO CELEBRATE A FILM THAT BROUGHT IT ALL HOME FOR ME! THANK YOU, "JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR"

5 comments:

lmerie said...

You know, I have never seen it! Another one to add to the list :)

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

I've not seen the movie, but have seen it performed twice. And it IS incredible isn't it? Such a human Jesus. But yet Devine...

Becky said...

I have never seen Jesus Christ Superstar....Hmmm. Now you've got me curious too though..

tara @ kidz said...

Oh my goodness I'm so glad you told me this. I haven't seen that movie for-e-ver! I'm running to On Demand this second!

Colleen said...

It sounds like I need to go watch this.